Communicating security policies and procedures through security training.
Communicating security policies and procedures to employees, and getting their commitment to adopt them in their everyday working environment is an important and low cost way of lowering the risk of loss of data and systems. By training staff to be security-conscious they become an active member of your IT security and regulatory compliance divisions. Additionally when your staff knows the procedures to follow when systems fail; it will be easier for them to get back to work thus reducing work downtime and cost associated with an event.
If your staff regularly use and process data, it is a good policy to make them aware of data security and protection principles, and what actions they do which might infringe on your organizations security and client privacy. Additionally in today’s virtual environment it is easy for organizations to overlook the importance of enforcing your security policy and procedures for staff who work from their home offices. Yet it is equally important to ensure your virtual staff is included in security policy and procedures and systems security training.
Loricca understands the importance of creating an awareness of data security issues to your staff.
Security Training may include
- Train staff to use systems correctly and give responsibility for backups to appropriate persons
- Train staff to test backups to ensure the data is securely restored
- Once trained, obtain signed documents from staff members who handle sensitive information
- Train how tasks will be carried out manually if technology breaks down and who has the responsibility for oversight
- Train staff on IT good practice, this would include the use of email, software and the internet, and the use of good passwords and the importance of following procedures for changing passwords on a regular basis
- Explain and train management on getting “buy in” of your organizations security by involving your staff in regular reviews of your policy and procedures
- Establish a train the trainer model for training of new staff members and for ongoing training
- Establish a policy for training on an annual basis
Loricca understands how to determine your organizations unique training needs. We also understand organizations are not static; continuous changes and new employees make it a necessity for ongoing security, policy and procedures training to be facilitated when you need it. Our certified instructors can provide training at your site or via the internet.
We also can work with your management team to create policy and procedure development and with your IT department to augment their ongoing IT security and software training.